What Are Wearable Cameras?
Size of the Wearable Camera Industry
Types of Wearable Cameras
What to Look for in a Wearable Camera
Commercial Uses for Wearable Cameras
Top Ten Reviewed Wearable Cameras
The Future of Wearable Cameras
Privacy Issues With Wearable Cameras
What Are Wearable Cameras?
Camera culture has become an intrinsic part of modern society. People have started to realize the importance that cameras play in our daily routines and thus several companies have begun providing wearable cameras that make it easier to document our day to day lives.
However, what are wearable cameras? Simply put, they are cameras that you can wear on your body. They can be attached to your clothes, thus allowing you to walk around with the camera facing outwards, thereby allowing you to be hands free while you go about your daily routine.
These days, it has become a very pervasive trend to document pretty much every single thing that goes on over the course of our days. Hence, we have started to gravitate towards certain kinds of wearable cameras in order get the best possible experience. This has given rise to a rather large industry, one that has become even more powerful in recent times for a number of different reasons that are going to be discussed here.
With the development of wearable technology people have started to realize the benefits that wearable cameras can potentially provide. A number of different manufacturers such as Apple have incorporated cameras into the wearable technology that they offer, and a number of companies have opened up that offer people the chance to buy technology that is exclusively camera based and can be worn on one’s person. With technology like this, it is important to keep in mind that you always have the option to expand your tech and improve upon prior models, as wearable technology is a very fast growing field.
Size of the Wearable Camera Industry
Now that wearable cameras have entered the market, it is important to see the effect that they are having. Taking pictures had already become quite convenient thanks to smartphones and the like, but wearable tech is in many ways a step further as it provides a far more convenient solution for people that are looking for technology that would be able to take pictures while you are going about your daily routine. Hence, people have definitely taken an interest in this product in spite of skepticism within the industry when the product was initially launched.
The arrival of the smart watch was the first actual sign that there might be hope for the industry, as Apple is a company that usually knows how to handle the launches of new and bold products that people have never heard of before. Hence, the Apple watch created a market for wearable tech, and the success of this launch leached over into the wearable camera industry. The smart watch itself is in many ways a wearable camera, as it is wearable tech that includes a camera in its hardware. This is what makes using this product a treat, it has so many versatile uses that you would be hard put not to be able to use it time and time again.
One of the biggest reasons that this product has seen such an enormous amount of success is because of the fact that it has so many different applications within the context of modern social media. We live in the era of Snapchat, an era where Facebook is trying to incorporate Snapchat like elements into its own properties such as WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook messenger. Hence, people have a lot of different social media entities that encourage them to post about their lives frequently. Even without the stories feature, Instagram is all about capturing life and showing it to as many people as possible. However, doing so in a manner that is spontaneous can be a little difficult for a lot of people. Smartphone cameras are convenient, but at the end of the day taking one out and opening up the camera can take far too long for it to be a suitable solution for situations where candid photography is what is required of you. By using these cameras you would eventually end up missing out on a lot of moments that you might have been trying to capture.
This is what gives wearable cameras their charm. With a wearable camera, missing a moment is pretty much impossible. You can record continuously when you are at a concert or the like, and you would also be able to use it at events such as weddings in order to have a proper record of how the day went as a whole. We are a society that loves to keep records of things that we can look back on later in life, and these cameras make it a great deal easier for us to do that.
It is also important to note the importance that these cameras hold in a number of different industries. These uses are going to be discussed in detail later but for now suffice it to say that these cameras play a very important role indeed, and that there are a lot of different industries out there that might just be benefiting from the use of these cameras. After all, many industries out there need a form of accountability, and having a camera on at all times is the sort of thing that can allow the members of this industry to show that they have not done anything wrong.
Hence, the wearable camera industry is one that has enjoyed a lot of prosperity recently, and this is what makes it such an important part of the daily routines of so many people. With so many different situations where these cameras can be useful along with a number of industries benefiting from its use, the commercial success of the wearable camera was an inevitability that has finally come to pass, making it an excellent prospect for the businesses of the future looking to make some quick profit.
Types of Wearable Cameras
When you think of a wearable camera, there are several different images that might come to your mind. Each one of these images plays an important role in deciding whether or not we actually end up buying these cameras. Understanding the various types of wearable cameras that are out there is key to understanding the industry, as well as understanding what kind of benefits you can derive from using these cameras in your daily routine.
There are several subcategories that you can find in the market these days, but out of those subcategories three main categories emerge. These categories encompass the basic premise of wearable cameras and can provide a general understanding of what the industry is providing these days, as well as a general idea of where it might be headed at some point in the future.
- Clip Ons: These cameras are generally known to be a little more fragile than other varieties, but they are favored amongst people that own wearable cameras for being a lot more portable and lightweight than such cameras tend to be. The basic premise of these cameras is that they tend to be used in a manner that allows you to clip them onto your clothing. This usually means that you would fix this camera to your breast pocket or the like, thereby allowing you to get the maximum amount of visibility while you are walking around. These cameras are a lot smaller than most cameras out there and hence can be a lot more discreet. While this does raise some privacy issues, at the same time it is important to note that this makes the experience of owning a wearable camera a lot simpler because people would not notice that you are wearing one and would thus act more naturally.
- Apparel: Wearable technology is starting to become a lot more widespread than it used to be not all that long ago. Smartwatches are now very popular in spite of the fact that people were a little skeptical about the concept at first. These smartwatches have provided an important note on how you can see technology progressing in later years. Cameras attached to these smartwatches are extremely discreet and are built to be able to record constantly and without any unnecessary preamble or setting up time, something that can really make it easy to use them.
- Pocket Cameras: This is a far less popular variety that is nonetheless having a sudden surge in sales because people are starting to see the benefits of using this product. When you are using a product like this you can place it in your pocket. If your pocket is of a standard size, this camera would essentially be peaking out and recording every conversation you have which can be really useful in a lot of professional contexts although in a personal context this is not the sort of thing that should be used.
- Glasses: Now that Google glass has started to become a much more prominent product after a rough beginning, wearable tech has an advantage that it had never seen before. This advantage is the fact that you would be able to wear these cameras with a multi functional set up. You would be able to use the glasses that you are wearing to record whatever is going on around you. This is important because it would incorporate the technology into your daily apparel a lot more easily than other wearable cameras would. With these cameras you would not have to wear anything special or cumbersome. You would essentially just have to put your glasses on and be on your way. This is perhaps one of the most important aspects of wearable cameras that a lot of people are excited about. We are starting to become one with the technology that we are creating, and this is why we are starting to adopt and appropriate products such as Google Glass which makes such a thing possible in such an easy manner.
What to Look for in a Wearable Camera
Now that wearable cameras have become such an important part of our everyday lives, it is important to know what to look for if you are thinking of buying one. By buying the right kind of wearable camera you would be able to ensure that you get the perfect experience from it, one that would enable you to enjoy the best that this product has to offer. The things you should keep in mind while trying to find the right kind of wearable camera are as follows.
- Picture quality: You obviously are going to be using your camera to take pictures an videos, and it is absolutely essential that the camera you are using would provide you with a high quality image result. This image result might make the camera a little bulky, however, as there are a lot of intricate parts that would go into creating it, but this is a price that a lot of people would be willing to pay as it would allow them to record whatever happens over the course of their day in an extremely high quality resolution. There is also a difference between wearable cameras that can take pictures and wearable cameras that can also take videos. You need to find one that can take videos, because it is these videos that would allow you to properly enjoy the use of your camera. However, it should be kept in mind that wearable cameras that only offer the opportunity to take pictures are definitely going to be cheaper than the variety that would give you the option of recording videos as well.
- Durability: The thing about wearable cameras is that you don’t know when the worst case scenario could happen. It is very possible that you might end up getting into a situation where your camera gets damaged, such as if you fall or if a liquid is dropped onto the camera. Hence, buying a durable wearable camera is absolutely essential to the continued usage of this device. If you want something durable, there are a number of things to keep in mind. First of all, the most discrete cameras that you can get are always going to be easy to break. In order to make them discrete a lot of material had to be sacrificed which means that a lot of these cameras would not be able to last very long if you are not extremely careful with them. If you want a camera that would give you a high degree of durability you are going to have to sacrifice on portability and concealment potential. You are going to find that everything about this product is going to involve some kind of tradeoff. If you want one thing you are going to have to forego another. This is how it is with most products but it is most pertinent with this one.
- Portability: A wearable camera is, obviously, something that you wear. Hence, you are going to want to ensure that the wearable camera you eventually end up buying is going to allow you to get the maximum amount of portability. You do not want to have to resort to lugging around a heavy piece of hardware wherever you are going, this is something that would prevent you from making the most of the situations in which you are going to want to move quickly. Additionally, certain industries that are going to be interested in using the camera such as journalists and police officers are going to want to be able to move at the most efficient rate possible in most situations. This makes it absolutely essential for this product to be as light as it can be. Once again, you need to keep in mind that there is a tradeoff involved. You can get a light product that is as portable as possible or you can get a durable product that would last a long time and would not break down when you use it roughly or in dangerous situation. You are not going to be able to get both, so you should choose what is more important to you.
- Versatility: The video quality that you get is going to be important, but what is also going to be important is versatility in the features that are offered. If you want a wearable camera that has a lot of features in it, chances are that it is going to be more expensive than the average wearable camera. This is because of the fact that these cameras come as part of a different product such as a smart watch or smart glasses. However, if you want to be able to use these wearable cameras for the purpose of social media, you would want the more expensive option because it would make everything so much simpler than it would have been otherwise. This is because you would be able to upload or stream your content directly to a social media site. The other option would be difficult because you would have to export the video that you are recording or the pictures that you are taking to a computer and then upload them to your social media from there, and services like Instagram or Snapchat aren’t accessible from a computer so the purpose of using this product becomes moot.
- Price: Price is a very important thing to consider when you are trying to buy a product like this. This is because you are going to want the price to be just right, but at the same time there is a desire to buy something that is very cheap or very expensive. You either want to save money or spend extra so that you can be part of as exclusive a club as possible. However, one thing that you need to keep in mind is that price is not necessarily going to be an indicator of quality. Just because something is expensive does not mean that it is worth your time. A better option would be to look for a product that is a little more affordable, because a lot of the time big name corporations assume that they can charge whatever they want because their brands are so well known. Don’t go for the very cheap products either, of course, but just be smart about the choices you make and products you eventually choose. Finding the best product takes time, but it is a good thing to keep in mind that none of the extremes are really going to be worth it.
- Size: The purpose of a wearable camera is obviously to record at all times but sometimes you want to be discrete about it. Although there are privacy issues to consider, for people that are working in journalism and the like this is a good way to ensure that they keep their information recorded and are able to use it to the fullest extent of its capabilities. This will also help ensure that whatever has been recorded is recorded through a camera that no one can see, which is going to ensure that people do not end up altering their behavior in any way whatsoever. When you use these cameras you are essentially trying to catch something candid, and small sized cameras make this possible. One thing to keep in mind is the fact that a larger sized wearable camera is generally going to be a lot sturdier and more durable than a smaller one, which is once again a tradeoff that you are going to have to keep in mind. For general use a larger camera would work just fine, as most people don’t need to be discrete while using these whether professionally or personally.
Commercial Uses for Wearable Cameras
There are a lot of industries out there that can benefit from using the wearable camera. These industries are known for requiring some level of accountability that the use of cameras can really help in, and while using these cameras the members of this industry would be able to do their job a lot better and would also be able to indemnify themselves from any potential legal ramifications that might occur because of the fact that their job involves tricky procedures. These are the industries that can make use of the wearable camera.
By West Midlands Police from West Midlands, United Kingdom (West Midlands Police – Day 210)
[CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Police: The police have a long and sordid history of abusing their power, so much so that even the good ones end up getting accused of doing things that they had never done. This is what makes it so important to make them wear wearable cameras, so that whatever happens is recorded and if the police have not done anything wrong they have evidence to prove their innocence. This is extremely important in a lot of contexts, particularly if you consider the lawsuits that police officers have often had to face as a result of the fact that they have been accused of crimes they hadn’t committed.
- Journalists: Journalism is one of the most dangerous professions in the world according to many people, and the fact of the matter is that journalists frequently put their lives at risk in order to get you the story of what is going on in the world. When you send a cameraman along with the journalist, you are sending expensive equipment along with him. This is dangerous in certain countries as there is a decent chance that the equipment might be stolen The journalistic team can even potentially be attacked in order to steal the camera and equipment from them which can put their lives in even more danger than they already are. Hence, the best thing to do is to simple attach a wearable camera to your collar. These cameras are far cheaper than heavy duty ones and they have the added benefit of not requiring hands to function. Hence, you would be able to use them at all times and record every single thing that is going on with ease.
- Salesman: When you are conducting a sale, you have a goal of making that sale go through and thereby ensuring that you would be able to enjoy the commission that you are getting. However, there is the added fact that you are answerable to somebody, and if you want to ensure that this person does not bite your head off for not completing the sale you can simply show them the footage and explain to them that it was not your fault that the sale did not go through. These videos can also be used for training purposes in order to facilitate a high quality situation wherein your employees would be able to learn from the mistakes or talents of others.
- Exploration: Going to new and uncharted areas is a very difficult thing to record because you are so wary of your surroundings that you might end up feeling like the act of carrying a camera is something that is seriously holding you back. By using wearable cameras you would be able to skip this annoying part and get to exploring. Everything that is discovered by these explorers will be automatically documented thereby making it easier for them to stay safe. They would not have to worry about hitting record either, as they would have the camera on at all times in order to do this for them.
- General business: Conducting a meeting would be a lot easier if the people involved wore wearable cameras as they would be able to focus on the meeting without having to hold a camera and thus transmit the meeting to their superiors.
Top Ten Reviewed Wearable Cameras
VTech 171613 Kidizoom DX Smart Watch – Pink
This product is an excellent example of what a smart watch can be for kids. It is durable and brightly colored and the camera offers a solid result that is a joy to behold.
GoPro HERO3+ Silver Edition Camera/Camcorder
With this product you are going to get an extraordinary recording quality and a sturdy build, although it should be noted that this comes at the cost of concealment potential. However, this camera is not really meant for that sort of thing so it works perfectly.
GoPro HERO4 SILVER
If you want a product that provides a high degree of functionality but at the same time is a little more affordable, this product is a great solution for you. Stylish and extreme high value, the picture quality on this product is amazing and it offers compatibility with pretty much all social networks.
PYRUS Smart Watch JV08S
It is not necessary to spend an inordinate amount of money to get a solid smartwatch. You can get an incredible product at a more affordable price as well, and this is the case with the PYRUS Smart Watch JV08S. This product is affordable and durable and a great option for people looking for something entry level.
If you want to go for the stellar build that PYRUS offers but also want some high level functionality, this product is a perfect solution for pretty much all of your needs.
With this product you are going to get a slim and sleek design that has been built to withstand situations where you might need to go underwater. There are not a lot of cameras that would be able to handle underwater recording but this one can handle it just fine thanks to the watertight body that you would receive with it.
GoPro HERO Camera
This is one of the most stellar GoPro products that you can find on the market. It has been built to withstand a lot of rough treatment and at the same time features compatibility with a wide range of devices along with a weather resistant build that can allow you to record even if you are in an area with extreme temperatures.
Drift Innovations Ghost 4K Ultra – HD Action Dash Motorcycle Camera
If you are a sporty person you are going to need a product that would be able to handle the effects of a high speed, bumpy bike ride. This product is perfect for this, not to mention the fact that it can record in 4K resolution allowing you to take crystal clear videos!
Campark Dog Pet Harness Chest Mount Accessory Kit for Gopro HERO 5/4/3 Session SJCAM Sports Camera Black
This is a great camera that you can use with your pets in order to always know where they are so that you would be able to keep them safe. It is also a great way to record things that are occurring in your home!
sourcingmap® Clip on Mini Digital Video
If you want a stylish, compact and durable wearable camera you have found it right here. This product has been designed to be the highest quality possible, and it allows you to enjoy your videos and upload them to social media with ease.
The Future of Wearable Cameras
It is safe to say that wearable cameras are going to be around for a very long time indeed, but that being said what exactly is this future going to look like? There are a number of different ways that wearable cameras can look, and if one is careful one would be able to use these cameras in some highly advanced ways in the very near future. This question is an interesting one to ponder simply because of the fact that there are so many possibilities when it comes to the use of this camera!
One possibility that seems very likely right now is the fact that these cameras are going to become a lot more involved in the world of tech as far as body modifications are concerned. After all, technology is advancing and we are starting wear these cameras on our bodies. Hence, it is not far fetched to consider the fact that we might be incorporating this technology into our bodies after a few decades in order to get a sense of constant recording that would be difficult to achieve in other situations.
While you are using this product it is also important to note that even though the aforementioned possible future is not going to happen any time soon and at this point in time is speculative at best, we are definitely going to see a much sturdier industry as the elements present within our smartphone would start to be incorporated onto our person. Our smartwatches are going to become compatible with our glasses, and our cameras are going to sync up with the various tech on our bodies in order to help us become as technologically efficient as we possibly can.
Privacy Issues With Wearable Cameras
If there is one problem that might impede this type of camera from succeeding in the future, it is the privacy concerns that a lot of people have regarding it. Privacy is not really something you would be able to enjoy while you are using a wearable camera, as you would not have the option of using it in situations where people would not allow you to film them.
We live in a day and age where it can be quite difficult for people to feel secure and safe, even in their own homes. With the NSA scandal that a lot of people were shocked by, people became acutely aware of the fact that technology had a dark side to it. This constant interconnectedness meant that people could be watching you at any time, and this is something that can cause a lot of problems because people obviously don’t want to be monitored when they might say things that they would not want other people hearing.
In addition to this, the industries that might use cameras like these are a little uncertain about whether or not using them would be a good idea. After all, if they are being used to monitor employees it is putting pressure on said employees to behave in a certain manner. Employees that fail to behave properly even in situations where it would not affect their performance at work might end up getting a reprimand of some kind which is really not the sort of thing that would motivate someone to do their best.
One of the biggest problems with wearable cameras has to do with voyeurism. People have been taking candid shots of people in an attempt at sexual harassment for some time now, and this causes a lot of problems. Women can’t feel safe in public, and even when the camera was bulky and difficult to manage it was the sort of thing that allowed people to take pictures of women without their knowledge for their own insidious purposes.
There is also the fact that wearable cameras can allow people to record other people without their knowledge. In a lot of situations this can be problematic, especially when you consider people that are working for government as they can be subjected to blackmail if they end up getting recorded without their knowledge.
In conclusion, wearable cameras offer a number of benefits that have made them extremely popular in the industry. In spite of the privacy concerns that some people tend to have regarding this product, it is clear that it is going to become an intrinsic part of our every day lives over the next few years. Innovation is a train that can’t be stopped, and wearable cameras are certainly at the very forefront of innovation. However, it is going to be interesting to see wearable cameras become more secure or more accessible, whichever route the industry goes. Both, however, seem like they are impossible to achieve at the same time.